A Truly Independent Family Funeral Director
Sturrock Comb & Davidson
The present business was formed when R. Sturrock & Sons amalgamated with Comb & Davidson, which brought together two long standing businesses to form a Company whose forebears had served the communities of Dundee and district for five generations. The company presently operates from four locations, Forfar Road, Lochee Road, South Road and Broughty Ferry which opened in 2012.
Comb & Davidson
William Comb, now in it's fifth generation, came to Lochee in 1896 and started a joinery and undertaking business at Whorterbank.
The business was continued by his sons Robert & David Comb who ran the business until their retiral, when David’s son William took over.
In 1959 Hamilton Bros, another local undertaker was acquired and the business moved to 80 South Road.
The business was forced to move to the present premises at 135 South Road in 1968 when the Kirk Street Multis were built. Trading continued until 1973 when a new partnership with Andrew Davidson & Son was formed.
Davidson Funeral Directors were formed by Andrew Davidson in 1908 and occupied premises at 76 High Street, Lochee, where they remained until the amalgamation with William Comb & Son.
R Sturrock & Son
R Sturrock & Sons, also in its fifth generation, was originally started in Liff Road in 1890 by Robert & George Sturrock, both Monikie men. Premises in Bank Street and Overgate, Dundee, followed and in the early 1900’s new premises were opened at 150a Lochee Road from which the company still operate.
In 1996 further premises were opened at 34a Forfar Road at the time of the amalgamation of Niven McFadyen, Macalpine Road, into R Sturrock & Sons.